EAST FARLEIGH PARISH COUNCIL
The Pump House Riverside Park, East Farleigh,
Maidstone ME16 9ND
T: 07999 414712
Minutes of the Annual Meeting of the Parish Council held on 18th May 2021 @ 7.00pm
In The Old School Hall, Lower Road within COVID safe Guidelines pertaining to “Business and Activities”
and via Zoom, Meeting ID: 931 3720 7558
Present: Cllrs John Wilson (JW)(Chair); Alex Fullwood (AW) (Vice Chair); David Hussein (DH); Adam Palmer (AP); Steve Shearman (SS); Barry Older (BO); Angela Howe (AH)
No members of the public and no members of the press were present.
In attendance: Desiree Home (Clerk)
Via Zoom; Glyn Charlton (GW), Peter Beasley (PB) and Alan White
Opening address: Glyn Charlton opened the meeting and thanked all Councillors for standing
for election/re-election/co-option and wished the new Council well.
- ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN AND DECLARATION OF ACCEPTANCE OF OFFICE
Three nominations had been received for Cllr JW. Unanimously agreed. He duly signed and read out his Declaration of Acceptance of Office and took over the Chair from Cllr GC.
- ELECTION OF VICE CHAIRMAN AND DECLARATION OF ACCEPTANCE OF OFFICE
One nomination had been received for Cllr AF. Unanimously agreed. She duly signed and read out her Declaration of Acceptance of Office and took over Vice-Chair from Cllr PB.
- DECLARATIONS OF ACCEPTANCE OF OFFICE FOR REMAINING COUNCILLORS – Cllrs DH and AP.
Both signed and read out their Declarations of Acceptance of Office.
- APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Cllr Lottie Parfitt-Reid
- RECORDING OF PROCEEDINGS
The Clerk was recording the meeting for the Parish Council.
- DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND LOBBYING
- Cllr Steve Shearman declared an association with EF Pre-School
- EXCLUSION OF THE PRESS AND PUBLIC
Members AGREED that no items required this and is not relevant.
- CO-OPTION OF NEW COUNCILLORS Cllrs SS. BO and AH
All gave a brief resumé. Proposed, Seconded and unanimously AGREED. Cllrs SS, BO and AH all signed and read out their Declaration of Acceptance of Office.
- MINUTES OF THE COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON TUESDAY 6TH APRIL 2021
9.1 The Minutes of the meeting were APPROVED as a true and accurate record.
9.2 Matters arising from the minutes not otherwise covered in the Agenda:
- A previous Councillor had been lobbied about extra signs on Station Hill requesting stationary traffic to switch off engines whilst waiting for the level crossing to re-open. Carry forward to future meeting.
- Replace sanitiser in the Flood Pod – still to be done.
- Parking on the corner of Kilnbridge Close, resident issue to be carried forward to future meeting.
- MINUTES OF THE PLANNING COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON TUESDAY 4TH MAY 2021
10.1 The Minutes of the meeting were APPROVED as a true and accurate record.
10.2 Matters arising from the minutes not otherwise covered in the Agenda;
- Enforcement; 6 Adelaide Cottages car parking space built without permission. New Council to follow up at future meeting.
11.1 To consider any notified Planning Applications since the last meeting;
- 21/502285/FULL Hilstone Dean Street: Demolition of rear conservatory and erection of single storey rear extension including light lantern. Consultee comments due by 26th May 2021. Unanimously agreed to recommend APPROVAL.
11.2 To receive notifications of any planning decisions made by MBC since the last meeting.
- 21/501229/FULL Little Pitchford Dean Street: GRANTED
- 21/501179/LAWPRO Domus Corrodian Priory Close: APPROVED
- 21/501405/SUB Cuckoo Farm: Discharge conditions APPROVED
11.3 To note any information reported to/received from MBC on planning enforcements issues:
- 21/500386 Land Adj Willow Wood Vicarage Lane; MBC Planning confirmed that no building has or will take place on this site. It was stated that sand was being delivered for a Riding School and the case is now closed. It was unanimously agreed to contact the Planning Officer to request a copy of the original planning permission for the installation of a riding school.
11.4 Any other planning matters, including late planning applications: None.
- AGREEMENT OF NEXT YEAR’S MEETINGS
- It was unanimously agreed that the EFPC Monthly meetings will continue to be held on the first Tuesday of every month (excepting summer break in August – unless otherwise required).
- All dates as per the paper circulated by the Clerk were agreed. Including the Annual Parish Meeting and the Annual Meeting of the Parish Council – these can be moved, if necessary, upon Councillors agreement.
- ALLOCATION OF PORTFOLIOS
- It was unanimously agreed to take this forward to a future meeting once new Councillors have settled into their posts and, had a chance to view recommended procedures for regular checks and reports on village matters (including Footpaths, Play Area, Rec Ground, monitoring EFPC contractors (Pearsons) and village maintenance, Car Park)
- Speedwatch/SID’s: It was agreed that this will continue as previously headed up by Peter Beasley (PB) who will be appointed by EFPC for this specific purpose/s. Peter Beasley has confirmed that he is willing to oversee these matters on behalf of EFPC. This will also include liaison with the Police regards “Operation Scarecrow” if this scheme is to continue after rev.
- Communications: It was agreed that there will not be a Communications Working Party. Matters pertaining to communications will, in future, be included as a separate item on the Agenda for EFPC monthly meetings.
- Planning: It was agreed that there will not be a separate Planning Committee and that all planning matters will be incorporated into the EFPC full Council monthly meetings. It was further agreed that if the planning matters are particularly “heavy” then a separate EFPC meeting may be called. It was agreed to decide, at a later date, whether planning necessitates a separate Planning Committee.
- Highways: Perry O’Callaghan (POC) has offered to continue to support the Council on Highways matters. This was noted and will be considered.
- APPROVAL OF AUDITOR AND SCOPE
It was unanimously agreed that David Buckett will continue with his role as the EFPC Internal Auditor and that EFPC are happy with the scope of work carried out.
- PARISH COUNCILLORS/PARISHIONERS
15.1 To report on any events (ON-LINE seminars etc) attended on behalf of the Council, including the Clerk: None.
15.2 To raise matters reported to them by parishioners: None.
15.3 Any other IMPORTANT/URGENT matters Councillors wish to raise NOT otherwise covered in the Agenda: None.
- USE OF BANK STANDING ORDERS, DIRECT DEBITS & BACS PAYMENTS
- It was unanimously agreed that all SO’s, DD’s and use of payments via BACS should continue as previously.
- It was agreed that Cllr JW will be added to UTB as authorised signatory asap – along with DH who is already an authorised signatory. It was further agreed that AW should be removed from UTB signatory list and that GC (ex Chair) and PB (ex Vice-Chair) will remain until such time as the agreed new Councillors have been added (Cllrs AP and SS) and all is operating efficiently.
17.1 To ratify payments made since the last meeting:
- Standing Order Clerk’s Salary April 2021 £ 00
- Standing Order Car Park Attendant’s Salary April 2021 £ 00
- Direct Debit Lloyds Multipay Credit Card May 2021 £ 37
includes: EFPC Mobile phone top up/Zoom subs/new strimmer & Covid-safety
equip for Car Park attendant/monthly fee.
- Direct Debit Lloyd Multipay Credit Card April 2021 £ 69
includes: 123 Reg subs/Zoom subs/AGAR training for Clerk/Monthly fee
- Direct Debit BC&E People’s Pension April 2021 £ 43
- Direct Debit PWLB Traffic Calming £ 1373.88
- Direct Debit PWLB Car Park £ 1005.52
01052101 Clerks Salary & Expenses April 2021 £ 471.74
01052102 L Owen April Time Sheet April 2021 £ 308.08
01052103 Pearsons Maintenance contract £ 1652.69
01052104 AcuIT Maintenance & Backup £ 69.90
01052105 Viking Office Supplies £ 79.08
01052106 Brachers solicitors – Hedge Cutting Agreement £ 1699.80
01052107 E-On Quarterly Charge (01/01/2021-31-03-2021) £ 14.53
17.2 The following BACS transfer payments are to be authorised on Unity Trust Internet Banking
by 2 signatories (DH & PB) following the meeting:
18052101 CPRE Annual Membership subs £ 36.00
18052102 RBS Rialtas Alpha Softward Annual Support & Maintenance
Licence for 1 user £ 148.00
18052103 Old School Hall Annual Booking £ 360.00
18052104 Pearsons Sign Painting as per quote PL844 £ 474.00
18052105 CompleteWeedControl Application 1of3 £ 302.10
17.3 Financial Statements for current year 2021-2022 (to end April 2021) have not yet been prepared – pending year end procedure with RBS Rialtas.
17.4 Any Other Financial Matters:
- To Note CIL Monies received.
- To Note VAT quarterly return to 31st March 2021 has been received.
- To Note Precept Monies received to the UTBD account.
- Regular annual transfer of £1000 from General Reserves to Rec Ground Tree Fund – Approved.
- Noted; transfer of £5000 from General Reserves to Highways Repair Fund (maintenance on Lower Road Traffic Calming Scheme). Cllr DH outlined the Traffic Calming Scheme and what maintenance may be needed in the future. In principle, it was agreed to continue the transfer of £5000 but to consider in the future whether it is a “budgeted item or still taken from General Reserves?
- It was agreed to defer decision regards continuing with Operation Scarecrow pending review of data.
- It was agreed that if the new Council decide to continue with the police scheme, then a Policing EMR should be created. It was further agreed to meet the cost of the scheme to date and the scheduled police works as planned.
- It was agreed to create an EMR to Legal & Professional & transfer £1500 from General Reserves to cover costs of Brachers legal advice (so as to not create a budgetary overspend for 2021/2022)
- Council noted items not Budgeted but Agreed expenditure: SID’s/Police Checks. EFPC will consider CIL monies to fund these items, at a later date.
- EFPC agreed a Virement for RBS End of Year support (not budgeted) – but uncertain whether from Contingency or General Reserves – decision left with RFO. Further, EFPC agreed to same support next year if required.
- Deferred until next meeting pending allocation of portfolios, checks and monitoring.
- DIFFUSION TUBES
- No information received. Cllr RW was asked to chase for report.
Clerk will chase for data.
- New Councillors were encouraged to log in to the KALC website and check training links where information and resources are
- FLOOD PLAN
- Cllr DH outlined the current Flood Plan and policy. All Cllrs were made aware that the Flood Pod is located in The Bull Inn car park secured by a padlock. Items needed in case of a flood (ie torches, hi-viz, tape for cordoning off roads, sanitiser & latex gloves etc) require checking and updating periodically. To discuss further after allocation of portfolios. Current Flood Wardens are Cllrs JW and DH.
- VILLAGE CAR PARK/REC GROUND/PLAY AREA (Vicarage Lane)
22.1 Update on car park: No update and deferred until allocation of portfolios and next meeting.
22.2 Update on Rec Ground: No update and deferred until allocation of portfolios and next meeting.
22.3 Update on Play Area Vicarage Lane:
- It was noted that EFPC gave approval for Pearsons to carry out playground repairs and these are still to be done (EFPC meeting 6th April 2021 Item 309.4 Finance).
- It was noted that the MBC PI Annual Inspection Report has been received. There was nothing further to report on the VL play area.
23.1/2 Major Projects/Maintenance/Improvement Plan:
- Cllr JW read out report from outgoing Cllr POC who recommended early meeting with Highways following the productive meeting recently and, the good rapport built up with Jennie Watson of KCC Highways. It was reported that there had been traffic surveys carried out and the data will be analysed. All points were noted for further discussion.
23.3 Highways Other Matters:
- Village Pavements;- Cllr LFP has overseen some works and clearance. The Clerk is to follow up and enquire if there are any other works planned.
- Lorry Watch: Cllr AF reported on the recently implemented Lorry Watch Scheme in Dean Street.
Cllr AF to pursue the “official” lorry route maps which gives a KCC preferred route for HGV’s. It was suggested that EFPC Lorry Watch use the app “Country Eye”.
Deferred until next meeting. Clerk to let all Councillors have list of PROW (Public Rights of Way) footpaths and these will be allocated when Cllr portfolios are agreed.
- OLD SCHOOL HALL – Update, if any.
- Clerk to send all paperwork on previous enforcement issues to Councillors for taking forward to future meeting.
- FETE – There will be no village fete until 2022.
- Letter of introduction from Cllr Simon Webb was circulated to all Councillors.
- Cllr AF will be setting up new EFPC email addresses for the new members. The Clerk requested that prior to receiving their new email addresses, if Councillors are using their personal emails, that they copy and paste the “disclaimer” to all EFPC related business and emails in accordance with EFPC GDPR policy.
To note forthcoming absences of Councillors and Clerk.
Clerks holiday requests; Thursday 27th May 2021 and 2 weeks annual leave w/c 16th August 2021.
- DATE OF NEXT MEETING
Tuesday 1st June @ 7.00pm in The Old School Hall, Lower Road.
Closing address: Cllr JW thanked all for attending. He also wished to extend and minute thanks to the Clerk for the extra hours and hard work over the last busy few weeks.
Meeting closed at 9.05pm