EAST FARLEIGH PARISH COUNCIL
The Pump House Riverside Park, East Farleigh,
Maidstone ME16 9ND
T: 07999 414712
Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on Tuesday 4th October 2022 @ 7.00pm
In The Old School Hall, Lower Road, East Farleigh
Present: Alex Fullwood (AF)(Chair), Adam Palmer (AP), Barry Older (BO),
In attendance: Desiree Home (Clerk), Deborah Abbott (Cllr to be co-opted – Cllr DA), 1 member of the public & no members of the press.
- APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Cllr Steve Shearman (SS), Cllr Gina Ashcroft (GA), Cllr David Hussein (DH), Cllr Simon Webb (SA) . Apologies were accepted for the given reasons.
- RECORDING OF PROCEEDINGS
The Clerk was recording the meeting on behalf of the Parish Council.
- DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND LOBBYING;
Cllr AF: Lobbying regards resident planning application.
- EXCLUSION OF THE PRESS AND PUBLIC
Members agreed that no items require this and is not relevant.
- CO-OPTION OF NEW COUNCILLORS & related matters:
- It was proposed by Cllr AF and seconded by Cllr BO that Deborah Abbott be co-opted as Cllr to fill the seat left from the previous Parish Elections. The Co-option was unanimously agreed by those present. Further, the co-option form was signed, and Cllr DA read out her Declaration of Office which was signed accordingly. The DPI form was given to Cllr DA to complete and return to the Clerk. There are two remaining seats resulting in Cllrs resignations. Notice of Vacancies have been issued.
- It was proposed and agreed that Cllr AF will be the new KALC rep on behalf of EFPC.
- It was noted that JW has declined the invitation to act in an advisory role regards planning matters.
- It was noted that any volunteers or residents enlisted to help or assist in EFPC matters MUST report direct to EFPC and not liaise with contractors etc on behalf of EFPC without Parish Council Agreement. All must report direct to Council at the monthly Parish Council meetings.
Action: Clerk/Cllr AF & DA
- MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON TUESDAY 6th September 2022
102.1 The Minutes of the Meeting were APPROVED as a true and accurate record.
102.2 Matters arising from the minutes not otherwise covered in the agenda: None.
- PLANNING; Note – Councillors and members of the public can view all Planning matters on the MBC Planning Portal https://pa.midkent.gov.uk/
103.1 To consider any notified Planning Applications since the last meeting;
- 22/5044/SUB River View, The Priory – EFPC agreed that they are happy to concur with the Planning officer’s decision.
103.2 To receive notifications of any planning decisions made by MBC since the last meeting: none.
103.3 To note any information reported to/received from MBC on planning enforcement issues: none.
103.4 Any other planning matters, including late planning applications: none.
- PARISH COUNCILLORS/PARISHIONERS
104.1 To report on any events (ON-LINE seminars etc.) attended on behalf of the Council, including the Clerk:
Cllr AF attended the KALC Playground Inspection course and gave a brief resume. Information will be disseminated to all Cllrs. It was agreed that the Car Park Attendant carrying out H&S inspections should attend a course accompanied by a Cllr.
Action: Cllr AF/Clerk
104.2 To raise matters reported to them by parishioners:
- Further leak on Forge Lane and hedge overgrowth – reported by the Clerk and resident.
104.3 Any other IMPORTANT/URGENT matters Councillors wish to raise NOT otherwise covered in the agenda;
- The Clerk will respond affirmative to Cllr SW regarding the MRW Tree Planting initiative and EFPC’s invitation to participate. It was suggested that trees could be planted on the Rec Ground (8 European Beech trees required).
- Clerk’s Resignation: It is the Clerk’s intention to retire summer next year. It was agreed that a competent and experienced Clerk is needed (familiar with clerking and finance/accounting) but not necessarily someone from within the village. The Clerk will produce an advertisement for Council to approve.
105.1 To ratify payments made since the last meeting:
- Direct Debit BC&E People’s Pension £ 60
- Direct Debit Lloyd (EFPC Multipay Card) £ 37
- (includes Zoom subs/123.Reg subs/monthly fee)
- SO Clerks Salary September 2022 £ 00
- SO Car Park Attendants Salary September 2022 £ 20
105.2 The following BACS transfer payments are to be authorised on Unity Trust Internet Banking
by 2 signatories following the meeting:
04102201 Clerks Time Sheet & Expenses #September 2022 £ 545.15
04102202 L Owen Time Sheet September 2022 £ 254.40
04102203 AcuIT – monthly maintenance & backup £ 76.42
04102204 Pearsons Monthly Invoice £ 1,830.36
04102205 Quarterly HMRC NI contributions (Jul-Sept) £ 10.90
04102206 Viking Office Supplies (copy paper, clips, 2023 diary) £ 37.25 105.3 Financial Statements
To receive the Financial Statements for the period up to 27th September 2022 which represent the state of play at the end of week 25, 2022/23
105.4 Any Other Financial Matters:
- Cllr DA was unanimously voted to be the replacement UTB signatory.
- The Quote from Pearsons for the Roadside Traffic Mirror was deemed excessive. Cllr AP will measure existing mirror and ascertain if the existing pole can be utilised. It was recommended that EFPC purchase the mirror and make alternative arrangements for it to be fitted. All agreed.
Action: Cllr AP
- It was noted that the EFPC Annual Insurance premium was paid under delegated powers because the deadline date was 1st Councillors have accepted the Long Term 3yr engagement with the current insurers to reduce rising costs over the next 3 years.
- It was noted that the 6 monthly VAT claim has been submitted for the period Apr-Sept 2022.
Cllr AP is checking the defibrillators whilst Cllr DH is on holiday. Councillors recommended that the EFPC website should have a map/description of exactly where the EFPC defibs are located. It was also noted that the EF Primary School have a defibrillator, but this is only accessible when the school is open.
Action: Clerk/Cllr AP & DH
- TRAINING; Ongoing. Cllrs are reminded to monitor emails sent from the Clerk regards forthcoming events. If there are any events that Cllrs are interested in, please let the Clerk know.
- FLOOD PLAN (Flood Pod): Nothing to report.
- VILLAGE CAR PARK/REC GROUND/PLAY AREA Vicarage Lane
109.1 Car Park: No update.
109.2 Recreation Ground:
- It was reported that Landscape Services could not access the Rec Ground to mow as the lane was blocked by a parked car. This has happened on several occasions. Cllr DA will investigate the possibility of adding signs/yellow lines with the emergency services (& HWG) because emergency services should have access at all times.
Action: Cllr DA/HWG
109.3 Play Area:
(i) Cllr AF gave a brief report under item 104.1.
(ii) Play area inspections should be done weekly and that the CPA should attend a playground inspection course (see item 104.1). It was further agreed that all inspections (car park, Rec Ground & Play Area) should be in “on-line” format asap.
(iii) Comments on Draft consultation: Cllrs recommended that there should be questions added as follows: “Do you think EFPC should spend money on this project?” and “Do you have any objections?”
(iv) Play Area Project funding: It was unanimously agreed to forge ahead with the Kent Community Foundation funding application and the request for funding from The National Lottery Community Fund. Further, Cllr AF confirmed the Borough Councillor’s approval for a grant of £2,500 in April 2023 towards this project.
Action: Cllrs AF/GA/SS/SW
109.4 Other Matters: none.
- To receive the monthly worksheets. Glyn Charlton returns from holiday on 11th October and the Clerk is to contact him regards his kind offer to act on behalf of EFPC and follow up with random checks of maintenance works in the village.
111.1 Highways Working Group (HWG):
There was no meeting and, therefore, no report because a meeting will be arranged by the HWG with the new KCC Highways contact, Demi Richards, mid-October. On the agenda will be the HIP and the results of the EFPC Public Consultation. The HWG will report back at the next meeting.
111.2 Highways: Other Matters:
- The Parish Fault Report was received.
- Highways KCC – pavements/paths (not prow); Nothing to report.
- SPEEDWATCH/OPERATION SCARECROW: No update.
- PUBLIC FOOT PATHS/RIGHTS OF WAY (PROW): nothing to report.
- FETE COMMITTEE:
- REMEMBRANCE DAY:
- Sunday 13th November 2022 at 10.30am at the War Memorial, EF Parish Church, Lower Road/Station Hill, led by George Moore who confirmed that tea, coffee & biscuits will be available in the church afterwards.
- Councillors approved that the Clerk is to order the usual Poppy Wreath.
- The Roll of Honor list was discussed, and Councillors named to read the names at the service.
- It was recommended that the Remembrance Day Service be advertised on EFPC social media.
- COMMUNICATIONS: It was reported that the number of followers on FB has increased slightly and that there is a small increase in subscribers to the EFPC Website.
- CORRESPONDENCE: None.
- ABSENCES: To note forthcoming absences of Councillors and Clerk.
- DATE OF NEXT PARISH COUNCIL MEETING;
Tuesday 1st November 2022 @7pm in the Old School Hall, Lower Road,
The meeting closed at 9.07pm.